Friday, July 12, 2013

Grilled Fish Omelet with Greens and Spicy Yogurt-Dill Sauce


If I can't be inventive in my on-going attack on my mid-section and the arms that continue to wave after I've stopped, then I'm a lost cook.   Thanks to my testing recipes for others (and for my own cookbook), I've found that cooking nearly the same thing over and over again -- even  in the morning -- isn't such a bad thing.  I kind of like it.  I feel accomplished.  In a happy way.  Not like when I clean the bathroom, either--even though I also do that over and over again.

Take egg white omelets.  Other than a short-order cook, I just don't know anyone who's cooked more egg white omelets than I have.  There are months on end when I eat them every single morning.  This might be embarrassing, but as it works for someone who wants to save their calories for dinner, it's not.  I make the occasional foray into Greek yogurt and fresh berries, melon, or peaches for several weeks in the summer, but I quickly nix that when the berries start to come in by Fed Ex plane and the cantaloupe begins to have the texture of a cardboard box.  Then I'm right back to eggs.  On Sundays, at noon, I have whole eggs.  Yolks and all.  Very adventurous.  (Here's my baby tutorial on making omelets. Just in case. )  And making so very many egg white omelets, what do I do with all of those egg yolks?  My friends, that's why God made dogs and cheesecake:



Egg Yolk omelet for Tucker and Gabby

 
They know the sound of the whisk and the skillet.

My cheese cake calls for five eggs plus two egg yolks.  Not a daily option, right?
There are a couple of cookie recipes that call for egg yolks only, as well.  Food.com has a page devoted to things to use up egg yolks.  You can try the cartons of egg whites, but most of them aren't nearly as good as the egg whites you crack with your own bony little fingers.

Egg white omelets, a staple on this blog, are full of all kinds of things at my house, depending on the frig, the larder, and my waistline:  leftover pizza toppings (give the crust to the dogs or the birds), that tiny bit of ham from the deli sandwich, cold grilled vegetables, fresh spinach, salsa, tomatoes, and so on.  Occasionally, when I'm flush, a sliver or two of grilled or smoked salmon makes its way into the pan.  Mostly, I'm into vegetables.  But this particular omelet was the idea of my husband Dave, who, when I said, "What am I going to do with this little bit of leftover grilled cod  and yogurt sauce?" said, "Put it in your omelet in the morning."   My leftover fish usually goes into a salad, a soup, or if there's enough, into a fish spread for crackers.  I thought he was a little off, but I found myself throwing it in the pan in morning.  And being quite happy I did.  Dave was right one more time.  He's sooooo smart AND inspirational, I'll add.

Dave with our son Sean, who also knows Dad is usually right.

Here's how to throw together that little breakfast or dinner (just add Chardonnay):


grilled fish omelet with greens and spicy yogurt-dill sauce
 serves one  (for 2 omelets, place one in preheated oven while you make the other)

*1 small-medium tomato, sliced
*3 egg whites beaten with a healthy pinch of salt and pepper (white pepper, if you have it)
*PAM or 1T olive oil or butter
*1/2 cup fresh spinach or finely chopped kale
*1 scallion (green and white parts), minced or 1 tablespoon minced red onion
*1-2 ounces leftover grilled fish (or more to taste), cut into small pieces
*Spicy Yogurt-Dill Sauce (recipe below)

Directions:
  1. Slice tomatoes; place on serving plate. Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
  2. Heat pan over medium-high heat for a minute or so.  Add PAM, oil, or butter--depending on how the scale looked this morning.
  3. Add spinach and onions to hot, oiled pan, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper, and let cook 1-2 minutes until a bit wilted.
  4. Add beaten egg whites to pan and let the white set 10 - 20 seconds or so.  Lift omelet at one edge with rubber spatula and tip pan to allow uncooked white into pan.  Repeat quickly until omelet is cooked, making a few small holes in the whites and vegetables (the omelet will reseal) if necessary to make sure eggs in the middle are cooked as well. Add grilled fish.
  5. Turn off heat.  To plate, tip pan toward the plate, using the rubber spatula to slide the omelet out.  You may fold the omelet as you go or after it's on the plate.  It will eat however you do it and you'll become a better omelet maker as time goes on.
  6. Garnish with Spicy Yogurt-Dill Sauce (see below) and a bit more black pepper.
  7. Enjoy hot, cold, or at room temperature.*
 SPICY YOGURT-DILL SAUCE:  In a small bowl, mix together well 2-3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1-2 drops hot sauce, 2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill (1/2 teaspoon dry), and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  Taste and adjust seasonings.  Cook's Note:  Adjust these proportions to suit yourself or leave out things you don't have or care for.  This is my go-to summer sauce for plain grilled fish.

*If you have time and are eating your omelet hot, warm your plate in a 250 degrees  F oven for a few minutes before you begin.   Omelets cool very quickly.

My cod, that was good.

Have fun cooking and taking care of yourself.  Use up your leftovers,
Alyce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love hearing from you! If you don't have gmail or a blog, you can choose "anonymous" from the comment pull-down menu. Sign your name within the comment box if you'd like. Thanks, Alyce