Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Canned Salmon Salad or Simple Pictures are Best

While I'm not hard-pressed for grocery money ... right now.. at this moment...I have been.  I spent years feeding six of us and, before that, had fifteen bucks a week to feed two hungry adults.  Really.  I know from cheap eats and, btw, canned salmon salad is cheap eats.

Lately, I find I'm just heart-sick over the cost of groceries.  And I only have to feed two people and two dogs.  Everyone I know complains about it.  One friend recently described a woman speaking on NPR about wanting to eat healthily--to eat vegetables.  Her words were something like this:



I'd love to eat healthy food.  To go around the perimeter of the grocery store, buying only fresh produce, protein, and dairy.  But you know what?  I can't even afford produce.



This was a college-educated woman, who worked, but just couldn't afford green beans and carrots.  I started thinking right then:  if my knowledge of food could do any good in our world, I should be able to come up with filling, healthy meals that didn't break the bank.

We all need some fish and nearly everyone likes salmon.  But fresh salmon is pricey and perishable.  Frozen salmon is difficult to make taste good, though it has possibilities and I haven't given up on it.   (Scroll down to "more info" for a couple of good articles on nutrition and sustainability factors for canned fish.  For tuna, do please buy American tuna; it's more expensive, but you can depend  on it being caught in a responsible manner so that other fish don't die for your sandwich.  For salmon, there's a link for purchasing high-quality Alaskan salmon online.  A few crackers and there's lunch at work.)

But, listen:  try some canned salmon.  I bought my big can (15 oz?) of  Alaska canned salmon for under $3. at Target.  I made some salad, but you could also make salmon cakes, or sandwiches, or whatever.   You can have a bit on greens for dinner, and take a sandwich for lunch.    All for...oh, you do the math. 

Try this:

Canned Salmon Salad
  makes 4 servings

1 15 oz can wild, Alaskan salmon (Drain; Remove spine, large bones and skin; flake rest with fork)
3T mayonnaise
1/2 t Dijon-style mustard, optional
1/4 t Prepared horseradish, optional
1T minced onion
3T each:   celery, dill pickles

Pinch each:  kosher salt, fresh-ground pepper, and dried dill weed

In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together with a table fork.  Stir well.  Taste and adjust seasonings.  Add a bit more mayo or a drizzle of olive oil if you like your salad more moist.  Serve with tomato and lettuce on rye or whole-wheat toast for a sandwichYou can also serve in on greens with  some cherry tomatoes, a great dill pickle (I like Nathan's), and some whole-wheat crackers like Triscuits.  For grins, place a tiny dollop of mayo on top and sprinkle with dried dill weed and cracked pepper. 

Cook's Notes:  Other chopped vegetables are quite welcome in this salad.   Think minced cucumbers,
fennel, zucchini, yellow squash, any color bell peppers, etc. 


Eat up.

More Info
All About Buying Canned Salmon

Read Canned Tuna Reviews and Why You Should Pay for American Tuna


Have fun cooking and taking care of yourself,
Alyce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love hearing from you! If you don't have gmail or a blog, you can choose "anonymous" from the comment pull-down menu. Sign your name within the comment box if you'd like. Thanks, Alyce